2277 E. Bengal Blvd.
Cottonwood Heights, UT 84121
- CH Historic Committee
- Homeless Committee (LRPC)
- City Events Liaison
- Courts Liaison-Appeals Board
Mike Peterson has lived in Cottonwood Heights for over 40 years. He graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in Urban Recreation and Parks Administration. He began his career with Salt Lake County in 1971 where he spent the next 30 years directing various county-wide programs and facilities and serving as Director of the Northwest Multi-Purpose Center and the Copperview Community Center, Interim Director of Hansen Planetarium, Deputy Director of Aging Services, Associate Director of Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation, and Director of Salt Lake County Criminal Justice Services.
For the past 11 years, Mike has served as the Director of Cottonwood Heights Parks and Recreation Service Area, a separate taxing entity from the city of Cottonwood Heights.
Mike also served several years on Cottonwood Heights Community Council where he helped to facilitate the feasibility study that lead to the city’s incorporation in 2005.
He and his wife, Charlene, have five children and eight grandchildren. Charlene currently directs the Cottonwood Heights Community Tennis program, serves on the Utah Tennis Association Board of Directors and chairs the Adult Recreation and Competition Committee. Both Mike and Charlene have been involved for many years in various capacities in community and church service in Cottonwood Heights.
Other areas of experience include:
- University of Utah Adjunct Professor, teaching Financial Management in Parks and Recreation as well as Politics in Public Parks and Recreation.
- Elected to the Board of Trustees for the Cottonwood Heights Parks and Recreation Service Area from 1995-2000.
- Member, Board of Directors for Utah Legal Defenders 1997-2000.
- Member, Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.
- National Recreation and Park Association Council on Accreditation for Universities, 2010-present.
- Past President, Utah Recreation and Parks Association.